free hit counter javascript

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Accident

I got into my very first car accident yesterday... at work. I had just left to go pick up the boys from school in a very big brown 15 passenger vehicle. The gravel roads were a bit icy, but I didn't realize just how much until moments later. I took a curve in the road going my usual curve speed 40km/hr. The next thing I know the back end is sliding out... out of control. I try to pump my breaks to slow down, but with no luck I go crashing into the ditch and flip onto the passenger side. At this moment I am totally freaking out. I am hanging in my seat by my seatbelt, which I will ALWAYS where from the moment I get into my vehicle from now on, and attempt to unbuckle and get out of the vehicle. I unbuckle and fall to the floor, well actually the passenger side window, but I am ok. I grab my cellphone and call the house, "Um, Carol, I just got into an accident, I flipped the van" I say on the verge of tears with my voice shaking. I wait in the vehicle for Errol (my boss) who is there in seconds and he helps me out. I work for great people and they are just happy that I am ok. I get back to the house to Jennifer (my other boss) and Carol (housekeeper/cook) both give me big hugs and let me cry. We had some tea and I felt much better. Carol talked about her numerous accidents and I felt even better. Then, another worker said that earlier in the day he nearly did the same thing, but luckily he was able to regain control. I felt even better. Today i am a little sore, but that is all.

6 Comments:

Blogger netablogs said...

Wow, Katie! I'm so glad you're okay! Accidents are SO scary. My first one was with your DAD just after he got his license. He was 16 and was driving me to guitar lessons. We were going down 112 or 118th avenue and came to an intersection (75 str?) and the light turned red, but the roads were icy and he couldn't stop. It was like slow motion. I really thought I was going to die. We slid into the side of a semitrailer. No major injuries, though! Your dad managed to drive home on back streets, avoiding all traffic lights.Idon't think I had my guitar lesson that day. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon! So happy you weren't seriously injured. You might want to get a chiropractic adjustment, though.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scary! Glad you're ok!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Amy A. said...

awwww...poor katers! I'm glad your ok....rollovers are scary!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Deanne said...

Oh Katie! I'm so glad you're ok! That would be so scary! Take a nice hot soak with candles and just relax those muscles! I'm so glad you work with such understanding people - so glad you're ok!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katers! phewwff that you're ok dude! remember when i crashed in the ditch with you, haha. Yours seems a little more scary though...well at least you got your first one out of the way! talk to you soon!

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scary! Dave rolled his truck and totalled it with Amy in it. I was in shock and upset about that I can't imagine being the one in the vehicle, glad you are O.K.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home